We’re BIG fans of food here at the Tree House, (being Foodies and all), and being a driven bunch naturally are partial to the odd challenge, so when Nando’s brand manager’s Donna and Tessa set us a recipe invention test, we were naturally very keen to show off our skills.
Using a randomly selected Nando’s product – everything from Peri Peri Salt through to Nando’s Sizzling Crisps – we had some brilliant entries. Smokey BBQ crisp coated chicken tenders, Peri Peri cocktails and Nando’s Garlic Rub Brownies (seriously) were all entered, but the eventual winner was a batch of unexpected but altogether delicious Nando’s Mild Peri Peri Parmesan and Chive Scones from Daisy Pickles, National Account Manager and champion scone baker!
Here’s the recipe for you to enjoy at home…
- 225g self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 50g vegetable fat
- 2 tablespoons Nando’s Mild PERi-PERi Sauce
- 100g parmesan cheese – finely grated
- 2 tablespoons chives –freshly chopped
- 150ml milk
- Soft cheese
- Nando’s Mild PERi-PERi Sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC/200ºC (fan assisted).
- Sift the self-raising flour, baking powder and sea salt in to a large mixing bowl.
- Rub in the vegetable fat with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add 85g of finely grated parmesan cheese, putting aside the rest.
- Add the chives and Nando’s Mild PERi-PERi Sauce.
- Add milk and mix to form a sticky dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface to an inch thick.
- Cut out scone shapes or mould yourself and arrange on a greased baking tray.
- Brush the tops with milk, sprinkle on the remaining parmesan and add a few drops of Nando’s Mild PERi-PERi sauce.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
To serve, mix together soft cheese and a generous dollop of Nando’s Mild PERi-PERi Sauce, then fill the centre of the scones and enjoy! This is optional, of course, but you’d be PERi-etty crazy not too!