Much to our collective delight Rob announced back in December that he’d be regularly running cookery masterclass with the overall aim of increasing our foodie skills! Here’s the recipe and a tempting shot of our first class…
Cantonese style beef in black bean sauce
- 450g/1lb lean Beef steak
- 1 tbsp shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil (1)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1½ tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
- 1½ tbsp black beans, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger chopped
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (2)
- Cut the Beef steak into thin slices 5cm/1½in long. Put the slices in a bowl and mix them well with the chopped ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil (1) and cornflour. Leave to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until it is very hot. Add half the oil and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, lift the beef steak out of the marinade with a slotted spoon, put it in the wok and quickly stir fry it for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl at once.
- Wipe the wok or pan clean, reheat it and add the rest of the oil. Quickly add the black beans, and garlic. A few seconds later add the rest of the ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil and then return the beef to the work or pan, and then the spring onions.
Stir fry the entire mixture for another 5 minutes and add sesame oil (2).
Turn it on to a warm serving platter and serve at once